CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

For the little people known as kindergarteners...

Today I will begin blogging about my adventures, learnings, and thoughts towards teaching. My experiences in education are not as vast as some others, but I believe they are valuable. I believe in our children, even those who are often seen as unlikely to succeed. I thrive when I see young people growing and learning in unique and exciting ways. My hope for all of my students is that they learn at least one thing while they are in my classroom...I want them to know that, "They are special, and they CAN learn". So many students that I meet day to day have been told that they can't, I want to share with my students that they CAN and they WILL. There is a moment, when you have been working with a child for a while, when all of a sudden you see the glimmer in the child's eye...the moment when the child realizes that they have had success. It is these moments that drive me to continue my learning as an educator...it is these moments that get me through all of the challenges I face each day in the classroom.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Classroom Organization

"I will stay organized, I will stay organized, I will stay organized" That is my mantra for this year. My first few years of teaching I was very organized and everything had a place. However, then, I switched grade levels AND classrooms. I want from a small portable to a VERY LARGE inside classroom and from teaching fifth grade to kindergarten. That transition was great, except for my organization. First of all, the classroom was HUGE compared to what I was used to, and second, there is a lot more 'stuff' in a K classroom than 5th. So, this year, I WILL stay organized. I thought I would share a few of the great and INEXPENSIVE ideas I have found to help with organization.

First of all, I have been trying to find ways to create more storage in my classroom. Specifically, storage that is enclosed. So, here is one way that I think is just great! I am thinking of creating four these to use at my play dough table. Then, when that workshop is closed I can simply put all of the play dough inside a bucket and have a clean table! Click on the picture to go to a teacher blog with directions, below the picture is a link to a website which sells actual bucket seats.



Bucket Seats for $6.59

Here is a similar idea using file folder crates, click the picture to see how these are made!



What to do with all of those pencils, markers, pens, crayons, etc, etc, etc! A great very inexpensive solution that could be customized to your classroom theme! I am going to try this idea, but I think I will use scrap book paper to wrap some of the outside tubes, or maybe just paint! I will also probably glue the rolls to a cork board which can then be hung on the wall. Again, click the picture to learn more!!



Okay, this next idea, I LOVE! I saw this picture and really liked the idea,
but was concerned that my little kindergartners would knock over the cups. So, I came up with this instead. Take eight Starbucks cups and glue them into a tray. Ask for both the dome lids and the flat lids when you are at the store. I would use the small (or tall in Starbucks lingo) cups. They are shorter and will hold plenty of paint. As for the tray, anything will work. Target has some plastic trays for $2.50 that would be great. Once your cups are glued into the tray, you can put the paint into the cups. When students are using the paints, put the dome lid on for scraping extra paint off of the brush. When the are not working, use the flat lids (cover the straw hole with tape to prevent drying out). The trays will fit easily on a shelf or the cups can be stacked in a cupboard out of the reach of little hands.






Happy organizing!!!

3 comments:

Shayne said...

Wanted to let you know, I absolutely ADORE the Starbucks paint tray idea! Fantastic!

Juli said...

The Starbucks paint idea is fantastic.

Heidi said...

Thanks, Shayne. I am hoping to find enough friends who drink Starbucks (which in Orlando isn't hard) to not have to go and ask for any cups. But, I did ask for the 8 in the picture and they were happy to give them to me. I would prefer to recycle someone else's. I love the idea of not having to clean up paint every time we use it (I may actually use it more because it will be pretty mess free!).